Current Practitioners Unable to Penetrate Ancient Texts.
Journey of 1,000 Li Begins with the First Step
To really master the high potent ancient Feng Shui and astrology, practitioners must go through these points:
- A logical scientific rationale must be established for astrology and Feng Shui.
- Practitioners have to exert great efforts to understand the ancient texts. Do not just depend on what have been transmitted through your so-called masters. For those who do not know Mandarin, we have translated a number of pertinent ancient Feng Shui texts from Mandarin into English with helpful commentaries. (see www.guiculture.com/fs0book13.htm).
- The ability to understand what the ancient masters wrote can be greatly facilitated by a good knowledge of astronomy and physical geography.
- Study the historical testimony about the debates over astrology and Feng Shui approaches. Understand the historical arguments against certain concepts in astrology and Feng Shui.
- What also escape practitioners is that geomancy is an integrated art, involving a complicated integration of astrology, Feng Shui and rituals. Without the integration, each of the disciplines of astrology, Feng Shui and rituals will lose much of the intended potency.
One more thing. Ancient legends and anecdotes indicate that the practice of geomancy, especially when involving kingship, was a complicated art and there are hints of requirements for divine help
- After lighting an incense stick, the Demon Valley diviner would mutter these words:
"I bow respectfully in front of the gods of the six ding, may the trigrams of King Wen bear a numinous answer!.. If one asks with a sincere heart, the Trigrams shall be responsive! Burning carefully a stick of perfect incense, I pray respectfully to the patriarchs of the Eight Trigrams: Fu-Hsi, Yu the Great, King Wen, the Duke of Chou, Confucius, the five great saints!
The Seventy Two sages guarding the Way of Confucianism, Master of the Valley of Demons, Master Sun Bin, Master Guan Lu, Master Yan Yuping, Master Mu Xin, Li Yan; the divine generals of the six Ding and the six Jia within the Trigrams' Thousand li eyes, Favourable Wind Ear; the boy who reports on the trigrams, the lad who launch the trigrams, all the divinities pacing the void; and the Magistrate of the altar of the city walls of our prefectural province. May they all descend to inspect today's divination. (Vincent Durand-Dastes. 2010. Divination and Fate Manipulation in a Popular Myth in Late Imperial China. International Consortium for Research in the Humanities.)
No simple "instant noodles" thing or "Feng Shui and Astrology for Dummies" things.
Hence, most practitioners still have a long way to go before they can match the profound knowledge of the ancient masters of astrology and Feng Shui. Many so-called masters are clever but stagnant, as they lack research to expand and broaden their knowledge and skills.
Remember again: The Feng Shui and astrology effects cannot just come out from thin air, but must have logical scientific rationale. Without the scientific rationale used by the ancient founding masters, current practitioners have veered into highly subjective symbolic often supernatural nonsense, reducing the originally venerable art to the level of roadside peddlers.
- Look at Lu Dong Bin, who taught Chen Xi-yi the astrology of Zi Wei Dou Shu. Lu Dong Bin was also a swordsman. He was also a god of medicine, where astrological prognostications at his temples often lead to divine recommendations of herbal mixtures for medicine.
- Chen Xi-yi humbly traveled all the way to Hua Shan, to scale the tough mountain to meet Lu Dong Bin to learn Zi Wei Dou Shu. Confucius humbly traveled all the way to see Lao Zi, to learn how the Chou emperors applied the astrological rituals of the Ming Tang at Luoyang for kingship.
- Feng Shui and astrology are integration of highly complex disciplines, their ultimate potency involving kingship.
You have to make the first step in the tough "Journey of the Thousand Li". Good luck!