Planning without implementation is useless,
Implementation without planning is dangerous.
Exciting Asian oriented indepth case-rich
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT COURSES based on Sun Zi's Art of War, the world's oldest strategic manual, and its age-proven systematic strategic thinking, planning and implementation for high pressure, swift changing, war-like conditions (including crises and modern globalisation)
Sun Zi's "WAY OF THE GENERAL" :
Calmly watching, seizing any advantage and enhancing your organisation's achievements, viz.:
Maximisation of Resources Utilisation, especially with respect to change.
- Effective Delegation and Empowerment in the growing organisation.
- Aggressive Action Oriented Competitive Advantage in the high pressure modern world.
- Asian and Global Case Examples on Strategic Planning and Implementation
With a age-long proven track
record back to 507 B.C., Sun Zi's Art of War is a potent
practical strategic manual particularly applicable to modern
high pressure swift changing complex conditions.
- Radical refresher of the modern strategic planning and
- Make more implementable strategic plans which would enhance
- Fast adaptive thinking for swift changing high
pressure multi-factors field conditions .
- Promote performance through seizing the advantages offered
by global changes.
- Sun Zi's military model for cohesive team spirit, to empower
the men under high pressure conditions.
- Motivational self-discipline of the "Way of the General" for
leading under high pressure conditions.
- Innovative application of Asian traits in modern strategic
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE:
Directors, CEOs, managers, senior executives,
sales-marketing executives and executives aspiring to win in the
world of swift changing high pressure conditions.
"SWOOP LIKE A HAWK, STRIKE LIKE A SNAKE"
A systematic methodology course into the strategic planning and implementation process,
with Asian case illustrations.
All plans must start with strategic planning. If you have a strategic mind you could handle any issue.
1. STRATEGIC PLANNING: SUN TZU'S "ANCESTRAL TEMPLE" THINK TANK MODEL (Sun Tzu sections 1-5)
- History and outline of Sun Tzu's "Art of War".
- Sun Tzu's Strategic Planning Process, with reference to "7-S Qualities" and Profit Centres.
- "5 Factors" Business Mission
- "7 Considerations" (or "7-Qualities") for Environmental Analysis.
- Goal, Strategy & Program Formulations
- The vital "Ancestral Temple" Think-Tank mechanism.
MORNING TEA BREAK
2. STRATEGIC ORGANISING: CHECKING THE GROUND CONDITIONS. (Sun Tzu sections 6-7)
- Pioneering and Entrepreneurship.
- "Concentrating Forces" & "Unexpected Strategies".
- "Flying Column" Task Survey Force.
- "Gui" Approach to Change & Paradigm Thinking.
- Retreat and Attack response to Change.
QUESTIONNAIRE SURVEY: YOUR STRATEGIC STYLE
- An analysis of the major types of strategic thinking styles.
- Emphasis: Are you sure you have a strategic mind?
AFTERNOON TEA BREAK
STRATEGIC MINDSETS OF SUN TZU*
(how the Japanese businessmen applied Sun Tzu's Art of War)
The mindsets necessary for superlative strategic thinking, based on Sun Tzu's Art of War and the Japanese 16th century swordsman-saint Miyamoto Mushashi's "Book of the 5 Rings", which used to be a Japanese bible on management and especially read by Japanese executives on global duties. Mushashi was an avid reader of Sun Tzu's Art of War, which is a major contributor of his "Book of the 5 Rings". Illustrated by Japanese global case studies.
END OF DAY 1
Once plans are made, they need to be implemented. The initial part of implementation is always to organise the men.
3. STRATEGIC IMPLEMENTATION:(Sun Tzu sections 8-10)
- Competitive and Cooperative Strategies.
- Selecting the General
- Empowering & Taking Care of the Men.
- Initial Battles: Normal Operational Management, "6 Grounds".
MORNING TEA BREAK
SPECIAL: EMOTIONAL FACTORS IN STRATEGIC THINKING*
(how the Chinese businessmen applied Sun Tzu's Art of War)
Sun Tzu emphasises on emotional control as a crucial factor in strategy. The leader who is emotional is easily provoked and thus would make a poor strategist. Learn how Chinese businessmen master the 13 emotional factors, based on the 13 Sections of Sun Tzu's Art of War, which affect strategic thinking.
A pertinent case study would be analysed by participants. Participants would be divided into groups to study and present highlights of the case.
Emphasis: Motivate people to put their heads together to tackle the problem.
AFTERNOON TEA BREAK
4. STRATEGIC FEEDBACK & CONTROL:(Sun Tzu sections 11-13)
- Later Battles: Crisis Management, "9 Grounds".
- Factors of Enduring Bonding
- Factors of Ruin and Collapse
- The Information & Espionage Issues of Sun Tzu's Section 13.
- Networking Principle of "Winning over people"
END OF DAY 2
Each of the sessions on how the Japanese and Chinese implement Sun Tzu's Art of War could be supplemented or replaced with:"How the Malays should implement Sun Tzu's Art of War". This option is based on the legend of Hang Tuah and the Malacca Sultanate.